Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Sagging Door (was "How difficult to "build" a Door") III

On 7/19/2012 10:27 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

You really think Titebond III would hold if I get it all properly clamped?
There will be a lot of pressure on the warp joint. How fast does it set up?

Not unless you have well fitting joints, not for any length of time, no.
It (and very little else other than some specialty epoxies) is not
intended for filling gaps and has little strength as a material
itself--it glues by forming bonds across (very) small distances.

It's what I've told you before about the dowels--if they're not solid
and into solid wood then the job is to get back to solid material one
way or another and fit what is needed to do so.

You've really given no indication of just how bad the material
surrounding them is--if it is just crumbly or rotted completely away,
your only real choice is to get back to solid material and fill in w/
new or go to some of the restorative products. At that time, given
their cost and that this is not a door of any architectural significance
you're best recourse may well be to go to the replacement.

Wish could get hands on feel for just how good/bad it is, but one can
judge only so much by photos alone, sorry...