Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default TV Back-light Spark Gap?

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 16:39:16 -0400, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On 7/19/2012 9:45 AM, mike wrote:
On 7/19/2012 7:59 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have a cheapy 19" Philips TV hanging on my office wall.

It's taken to making a popping noise, suspiciously sounding like a
spark gap.

I'm pretty sure this is CFL back-lit.

Anyone knowledgeable of what to do about this... adjustment to look
for, etc ?

...Jim Thompson

Since you didn't mention change in brightness when it pops...
First thing I'd try is to plug in headphones and verify it ain't
coming out the speaker. Zero cost experiment that might save you a
lot
of fiddling around.
I'd also try the brightness at extremes to see if that changes
anything.

Weakest link is the transformer.
There's often a tiny cap in series with the CFL. I've seen those go
open. Might arc across that.
Spider webs cause interesting high voltage symptoms.

Another thing that happens is that the caps in the low voltage ps
go open. The average voltage is the same, but the peak voltage
can go much higher. I've only seen that after the fets in the cfl
supply
short, but I presume that the CFL voltage goes higher before it fails.

I'm betting on a pinched wire. Some Q-dope might be a quick fix.
I had a Samsung CRT that would snap every now and then in warmer
weather, but never outright failed.

Cheers

Do CFL's go that high in voltage?

***Circa 1200V to strike the CCFL tube - about half that when ionised.