Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC'ing a mini-lathe

On Jul 19, 1:26*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

LinuxCNC is free, Mach3 isn't free, but it's cheap (free if you can use
the code size limited demo version). Neither require any programming,
just configuration of appropriate I/O, limits, scaling, accel/decel
rates, etc. You need to look at G code since essentially all CNC
controls work from G code.

I recently found that one can get almost any component for CNC at
very reasonable prices. And decided that I ought to get up to speed
on CNC and build a couple of little projects. So far about all I have
done is buy a break out board for the printer port of a PC and some
PIC module boards. The PIC boards are
shown at ebay item 320917531143 You can also get the bare boards on
ebay .
In fact at this time the only boards listed on ebay are the bare
board. But looking at this item number you can get a better idea of
what the board is .

Anyway I am at the point of getting either LinuxCNC or Mach3. In your
opinion is it worth the money for Mach3. I am already using Ubuntu so
Linux or Windows no big deal.

Dan