Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

Default TV Back-light Spark Gap?

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 07:59:43 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

You forgot to include sci.electronics.repair

I have a cheapy 19" Philips TV hanging on my office wall.

It's taken to making a popping noise, suspiciously sounding like a
spark gap.

I'm pretty sure this is CFL back-lit.

Anyone knowledgeable of what to do about this... adjustment to look
for, etc ?

Maybe, but I've never seen that happen. There's not enough power in
the LCD inverter to draw much of an arc, much less produce a noisy
arc. My guess(tm) is that the switching power supply is on its way
out. No clue where it's arcing but a charred PCB in the PS Hi-V
section would qualify. Open the back, turn OFF the room lights, and
look for the sparks.

If there's a corresonding change in the picture with every pop, it
might be the swithcing power supply. If there's a corresponding
change in CCFL backlighting brightness, it might be the LCD inverter.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D