Posted to alt.home.repair
electro1 electro1 is offline

Default Why won't this light turn on?

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...-on-95464-.htm
electro1 wrote:
Thank you times a billion Scott. I just finished wiring two new lines all
the way from one end of
my house, up through the attic, and down into my garage when the hall
lights went out on me
without any breaker in my box flipping off. I replaced the bulbs to no
avail. I then went to home
depot quickly to get new switches before testing if there was power to the
outlets because home
depot was about to close. When I got home, I tested the wires in every
possible way I could and I
couldn't get my volt meter to light up, so I changed the switches. Things
still didn't work. I really
wish I would have read this post, because I spent about 20 minutes up in
my attic trying to see if
maybe I knocked some wires loose while installing the new wires. Finally
I gave in, and searched
and found this thread, mentioning the GFCI's. Yep, the bathroom had a
GFCI that had
tripped......Next time I'll know where to start the diagnosis......once
again, thanks times a billion.
-Gabe

wrote:

"Not knowing anything about electricity I *assumed* that one of the
switches
had to be defective so I replaced both on/off switches -- that didn\'t
solve
the problem. "

Are you an auto mechanic by trade? From your above decribed behavior,
I\'d say so.

Have you checked to see if any of your breakers have tripped? Include
any GFCI\'s in the house as well. You never know how many stupid things
someone before you may have done so, putting an inside light fixture on
a circuit after a bathroom or garage GFCI is certainly possible.

/o)
(o/