Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Wax Ring for Toilet

On Jul 18, 11:34*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 18, 11:10*am, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 07:19:54 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
On Jul 18, 6:18*am, Kuskokwim wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:41:23 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:
I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

I like these better than wax rings:http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal

I buy them at Ace Hardware.

Amen to that. *I'll never go back to the wax rings again. *I don't
think _anyone_ wouild return to wax rings after trying the waxless
once.

Harry K

I agree. *I'm going to try the "Fernco" brand next time to see if it
will fit. *My drain has a shallow sweep, so the Fluidmaster Wax-Free
Bowl Gasket would not seat (to long) deep enough.

Fluidmaster states not to trim it down as there is a chance of failure
or loss of the O-ring seal.- Hide quoted text -

I've never tried one, but there's one drawback I see with the wax-less
rings:

It appears that you can no longer set the bowl upright once it's
removed.

You always have to lie it down, right?

I usually squat over the toilet to pull it and carry it by shuffling
around. With the Fernco seal, I wouldn't be able to put it down flat,
would I? I'd have to set it at an angle while it's between my legs,
step over it and lie it down, right?

Seems cumbersome to say the least.

Couple blocks to set it on cures that problem.

Harry K