Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom Del Rosso[_4_] Tom Del Rosso[_4_] is offline

Default solder won't come out of hole

wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:53:01 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

For the past couple of hours I've been trying to get the solder out
of a hole. It's a mobo cap, and the other hole sucked right out.
It's like an obstruction. The solder melts with difficulty, but
even then I can't get a dental pick as deep as in the other hole.
The cap pulled out easily on both leads.

A Solder Sucker is much better than a dental pick (I've used both).
The solder sucker can be used on one side of the board while the iron
is still on the pad on the other side of the board, which is when the
solder is at its most liquid state.

That's exactly what I ended up doing. I was not using a pick to clear the
hole, but only to test it. I have a Pace vacuum station, but it doesn't get
hot enough for lead-free even when mixed with 60/40.

zero, and remove the last word.