Posted to alt.home.repair

Default IKO Roofing Shingles

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:46:19 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

On 7/13/2012 11:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Rebel1" wrote in message
Anyone have experience with these shingles?

http://www.iko.com/roofing_shingles_...nsulation.html

The second estimator for my new roof recommended this brand. He claimed
that Owens and GAF have had major warranty-related expenses, both having
filing bankrupcy to avoid payouts (mainly due to asbestos issues) and
screwing the homeowner. He claims IKO never did this, but in googling
around the discussion groups, a lot of people don't think much of IKO.

The estimator's recommendation was for the IKO Cambridge AR line. (AR
means algae-resistant.)

Both did file bankruptcy many years ago. The litigation about
asbestos was overwhelming. It was a bad time for anyone in an asbestos
related business. I don't see how it has affected anyone buying
their product in the past couple of decades though. IKO is a Canadian
company and I have no idea if they made asbestos products or not, but
they are not subject to US bankruptcy laws.

Personally, I'd not trust the estimator. I don't like (or trust) a
salesman that uses negativity of the competitors product rather than
the features and benefits of his own. My guess is he makes more money
if you buy IKO so that is why he is pushing it. I have no experience
with them myself.

So far, I've had two estimates. The first was from a company known to be
on the pricy side: $11,940 for Owens or GAF. (about 3400 sq feet, plus
60' of ridge vent) The estimator pushing IKO wants only $9280.

Not likely to be $2600 difference in the price of the shingles, apples
to apples, so start looking for other cuts.