Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Sagging Door (was "How difficult to "build" a Door") III

On 7/18/2012 3:32 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/18/2012 2:33 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

Any tips you can relate about "work (gently so as to not screw up ..."
would be much appreciated. I tap-tap with the mallet, and I grab
each piece in one hand and work back and forward, and that's
the end of my "technique".

One thing that would help a lot would be if you had anything you could
use as a more solid work surface. If it were me, I would prefer at this
point to have the hinge side rail at the top clamped solidly to a fixed
surface so I could work specifically on the top rail lock side joint
more w/o everything else wanting (or, more precisely, being able to)
come along for the ride.

The working rocking is good, tapping is good, patience is better...

Oh another trick that often helps (but be careful in application)...

Make up a hardwood or if can find a piece of plastic or other hard
material of right thickness and use a fairly short piece of it in the
flat section of the profile where the end of stile meets rail in the
initial gap. The serves as a fulcrum when doing the rocking to apply a
more direct inline force. As noted be cautious in how much force you
apply here; you can crush the profile by getting carried away...

If you can manage to hold one in on both the top and bottom sides of the
door all the better. Masking tape or similar ways can help here--be
creative there is "no one way" -- any way that works is the right way.