Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Sagging Door (was "How difficult to "build" a Door") III

On 7/18/2012 3:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 18, 3:54 pm, wrote:

See other note amplifying the outer rails/bottom stile perhaps
having already been trimmed...but to take away the suspense the short
story is "it doesn't matter" (yet).

I agree 99.9% that nothing can be done when reassembling the door. But
what about that 1 in 1000 chance that something could pop up while
checking the door for square that might make you do something
different - or perhaps not repair the door at all?

That's all I'm saying...and it's something I would do before tackling
the repair on the off chance that the exercise itself might turn up
something that could impact how I proceed. Since it can't possibly
hurt to know that information, but it could possibly help, why not
check it?

Well, I look at it this way (and I've done this numerous times) -- the
door was in the opening and was, in fact, still functioning albeit not
perfectly when I decided to repair it.

Inspecting the door, I see it is fundamentally still in sound shape so,
ergo, it's going to be repaired.

As there's nothing effective I can do the opening until I'm ready to
rehang it, it doesn't matter so I go ahead and repair the door as well
as I can possibly do and then go hang it.

Whatever needs to be done at that point is/was going to have to be done
anyway and the decision about repairing vs replacing was made on the
condition of the door; again if the opening is so bad it needs rework
that is it's problem, not the door's.

Segregation of duties...