Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Motor question

Jamie t wrote:
wrote:

Last year the central AC went down. Compressor wouldn't atart and I was
in the "oh ****" mode. However I found that the run capacitor was bad
and it is up and running fine for about twenty bucks from the local W.W.
Grainger. A simple dual AC 440 volt capacitor, not a compressor. Plus
it's an R22 system which compicates matters even further. I would have
had to convert to R134 or wait months for a compatible condensing unit.
Anyway now that the heat is on here again, the electric bill is not
as high as last year it seems. Now I know capacitors don't all go all
at once and I wonder now if decreased capacitance or high ESR might
have been adversely affecting the unit's efficiency. These motors
are of course synchronous or whatever so they are going to do 1,750 or
3,450 RPM or whatever, so if less efficient then it would stand to
reason that they would be pulling more current than they should.
How much can that weak capacitor cost you in energy ? This is not a
start capacitor, it is a run capacitor. Would it be worth it, in these
days of ever increasing energy costs to go out and actually check
these capacitors and change them when they get marginal ?

Yes, it would cause the motor the exert more current than should be, if
the run cap were reduced in value. Also, makes it harder to start and the
compressor would operate slower..

Jamie

I have not measured it this year, but I have been drawing 6 amps on my
compressor. If something changes the current should change. Good to
monitor.

Greg