Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Shower tray waste options?

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:21:29 -0700 (PDT), andrew
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:11:20 PM UTC+1, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Whist buying the shower tray trap the guy in the shop suggested the use
of an alternative metal waste fitting to go with. It still had a
removable centre so continued to provide access for cleaning etc but when
we got it home and looked closer we saw no means of screwing it in place,
given there was no access from underneath (the original had internal
drive 'dogs' in a recess at the top and came with a mating 'key').

So, can anyone recommend a 50mm metal waste fitting that does come with
some way of tightening it up from the top please?

Usually wastes that come with their own trap can be tightened from the top.

Understood.

Ones that are a separate waste to be used with a normal trap cannot.

As I guessed but wondered if there might be some 'trick'. ;-)

Something like

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2907/p75019

Hmm, I've seen them but am not sure if they would be as 'good' (?)
overall compared with a strong (steel) conventional looking drain
hole.

This is what we were given as a stronger replacement:

http://s.taps4less.com/PI/MA-ACC047.jpg

to this: (Ours wasn't from Wickes and was 50mm).

http://www.wickes.co.uk/shower-trap-40mm/invt/431943/

(note the comments to give you an idea what I'm trying to avoid).

So, I think I remember the drain hole in this rectangular cast tray
being reasonably recessed (5-8mm?). Would one of the domed drains
(presumably metal and stand_on_able) sit pretty flush with the bottom
of the tray such that an 82 yr old might not trip / slip on one do you
think please?

Cheers, T i m