Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Sagging Door (was "How difficult to "build" a Door") III

On Jul 18, 3:19*pm, dpb wrote:
On 7/18/2012 2:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Since he has no jamb, just the 2 x 4 framing, the RO can't be squared
with shims like a pre-hung could be, making it a little tougher to
fix.

Well, it came _out_of_ that very same opening and it wasn't apart when
it was hung (one presumes)...

Measure, drill, dowel, measure..."I wonder if the RO is
square"...Glue, clamp, measure, adjust..."I wonder if the RO is
square"...Glue, clamp, measure, adjust..."I wonder if the RO is
square"...carry it up the stairs, go have lunch..."I wonder if the RO
is square".

Of course, maybe that's just me.

That's just you...

But how would you plan on compensating on the floor, anyway,
realistically?

If the opening was/is much out of square when it was hung, it'll have
already been trimmed to fit (or never fit anyway). *If he puts it back
together as it was originally he'll have the same door as it was then in
the same opening barring whatever settling has happened. *That if any is
nothing he should take care of in putting the door together though;
that's a totally different issue.

As I've told OP numerous times, the point is to get the rails back to
meeting the stiles in their original locations and full pulled together.
* If (as I've already noted multiple times) the door has been trimmed to
fit a non-square opening he'll find that out when he measures the to
sides' respective lengths as well as the width at the top and bottom--if
it's been trimmed then it won't be really square even though the joints
fit correctly--that'll be the measurement he wants to fit the hole
though or at least very close.

But even if it isn't a square opening, what's so tough about trimming a
wooden door that you would go to extremes to mis-assemble one to
compensate??????????????

--

Maybe we don't know how many times the door has been trimmed to
compensate for an ever changing RO shape.

Somewhere in this ridiculously long 3-threaded monster I believe that
he said the door was trimmed to account for the sag which only worked
for a short time. I don't recall but maybe it was trimmed again.

Maybe the scraping on the floor is partially due to the door sagging
and partially due to RO settlement. He could go through the trouble of
squaring up the door only to find that the RO is so out that he ends
up with gaps around the door.

Who knows?

It just seems so logical to me to know what I'm starting with and to
have accounted for all variables, within reason. In the time that you
and I have gone back and forth just this afternoon, either of us could
have checked his door for square and at least know how that factors
into it, if at all.

Heck, I may go home and check a few doors just to get it out of my
system! ;-)