Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Sagging Door (was "How difficult to "build" a Door") III

On 7/18/2012 2:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Since he has no jamb, just the 2 x 4 framing, the RO can't be squared
with shims like a pre-hung could be, making it a little tougher to
fix.

Well, it came _out_of_ that very same opening and it wasn't apart when
it was hung (one presumes)...

Measure, drill, dowel, measure..."I wonder if the RO is
square"...Glue, clamp, measure, adjust..."I wonder if the RO is
square"...Glue, clamp, measure, adjust..."I wonder if the RO is
square"...carry it up the stairs, go have lunch..."I wonder if the RO
is square".

Of course, maybe that's just me.

That's just you...

But how would you plan on compensating on the floor, anyway,
realistically?

If the opening was/is much out of square when it was hung, it'll have
already been trimmed to fit (or never fit anyway). If he puts it back
together as it was originally he'll have the same door as it was then in
the same opening barring whatever settling has happened. That if any is
nothing he should take care of in putting the door together though;
that's a totally different issue.

As I've told OP numerous times, the point is to get the rails back to
meeting the stiles in their original locations and full pulled together.
If (as I've already noted multiple times) the door has been trimmed to
fit a non-square opening he'll find that out when he measures the to
sides' respective lengths as well as the width at the top and bottom--if
it's been trimmed then it won't be really square even though the joints
fit correctly--that'll be the measurement he wants to fit the hole
though or at least very close.

But even if it isn't a square opening, what's so tough about trimming a
wooden door that you would go to extremes to mis-assemble one to
compensate??????????????