Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default solder won't come out of hole

Cydrome Leader wrote in
:

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

For the past couple of hours I've been trying to get the solder out
of a hole. It's a mobo cap, and the other hole sucked right out.
It's like an obstruction. The solder melts with difficulty, but even
then I can't get a dental pick as deep as in the other hole. The cap
pulled out easily on both leads.

add fress solder and try again.

burned up and oxidized tips and traces don't conduct heat well and
won't melt solder in a thick or multilayer board. get some solder
wick, the stuff is magic for things like this.

solder wick on a multilayer board can cause internal expansion and
internal,unseen breaking of vias and plated-thru holes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik