Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Wax Ring for Toilet

mcp6453 wrote:
On 7/17/2012 8:04 PM, Red Green wrote:
mcp6453 wrote in
:

I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do
I know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of
trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

Why you have to remove it might get some additional tips being a
first timer. For instance, putting tile in you may need a riser.

The toilet is slow to drain. I don't have a snake, and the guy at
Lowes told me that the best solution is to remove it an clean it out.
He said that lots of toilets get damaged with snakes.

It's not really a money thing, but buying a $5 or less wax ring is
cheaper than buying a snake that may or may not damage the porcelain
on the 30-year old toilet.

Heh!

Removing and replacing a toilet, while trivial, is about a 200-curseword
job.

If you're going to that much trouble, wait a week and see what shows up on
Craigslist. This is an excellent opportunity to upgrade the fixture.

While you're at Lowes for the wax ring, pick up a set of anchoring bolts -
they, too, almost always have to be replaced.