Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What size beam to span 14'

On Jul 17, 8:25*pm, 69roadrunner
wrote:
'Oren[_2_ Wrote:

;2893660']On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:06:10 -0500, "Doug"

There are probably online beam load calculators that
could answer the question. *But every place I know you
would need a building permit to add a porch on to a
house. *And here to get that building permit you need
a drawing signed and stamped by a licensed architect.
So, I'd start with finding out what it takes to get a building
permit. *If it's like here, you'd be wasting your time
figuring it out because the architect is going to do it
anyway.-

I guess you are right because everyone is saying the same thing. *I
wanted to answer his question directly but just need more info but
that will not address the legal aspects of building it.-

The OP is in Canada.

Yes, I know I'll need a permit but there is no requirement for
"architectural drawings" as long as the plans meet code. And there's no
point in pursuing anything if the beam is going to be so goddamn big it
doesn't blend with its surroundings!

--
69roadrunner- Hide quoted text -

Have you tried googling for online beam load
calcualtors? I've seen them. I find it interesting that
there are municipalities where they will approve something
that is structural like this without an architect or engineer
signing off on it. I mean I don't know that there is a
specific code that just says for X porch you need Y
beam. It would seem an architect or engineer would
have to do the load analysis and make that decision.
And it just seems odd that a local code official wants
to be in the position of engineer of record for free for
someone's building project.