Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default solder won't come out of hole

"Jamie" wrote in message ...

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

For the past couple of hours I've been trying to get the solder out of a
hole. It's a mobo cap, and the other hole sucked right out. It's like an
obstruction. The solder melts with difficulty, but even then I can't get
a dental pick as deep as in the other hole. The cap pulled out easily on
both leads.

If you have some indium base solder or old leaded solder, reflow it with
that, then suck it out..

***Way back in the days of hybrid CTVs, I remember an old Tandberg telly
that had a "safety pin" style thermal fuse connecting the top cap of the
horizontal sweep tube, just inside the timebase cage was a clip holding a
small roll of low temperature cadmium solder (and a warning label not to use
60/40) for resetting the fuse.

***No doubt the Brussels suits reaction to lead solder would pale into
insignificance compared to cadmium solder!