Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default solder won't come out of hole

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message ...

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

For the past couple of hours I've been trying to get the solder out
of a hole. It's a mobo cap, and the other hole sucked right out.
It's like an obstruction. The solder melts with difficulty, but
even then I can't get a dental pick as deep as in the other hole.
The cap pulled out easily on both leads.

add fress solder and try again.

burned up and oxidized tips and traces don't conduct heat well and
won't melt solder in a thick or multilayer board. get some solder
wick, the stuff is magic for things like this.

Thanks all.

I got it by applying an iron to one side and the vacuum to the other side.
The Pace desolder station doesn't get hot enough.

I was also using lead-free when I added solder to help it melt. 60/40
worked better.

What's the word on using 60/40 on the replacement?

***Original manufacturers have made remarkable progress in applying RoHS
solder so the components don't fall off after a year or so - unreliability
can rear its ugly head if you pb free solder with the kit on a typical
repair bench.

***If you do get called to book for using 60/40 - just claim that its old
equipment, and you believed that's what it was originally made with.

***If its for hobby purposes and not for resale, that's also exempt.