Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much should a bathroom refit cost?

tim.... wrote:

Hi,

I currently looking at buying a repo that needs a lot of work doing.

Being used to doing my own diy, I've lost track of how much it costs to
get things done.

But this particular property needs too much doing to it before I can move
in so I'm going to have to sub some of it out.

So how much should I expect to pay for a full (small) bathroom refit using
quality, but not designer, fitments.

TIA

tim

Can you be more precise about standard?

You could spend a few hundred to a few thou (or even 10's of thou) on parts
alone ranging from "cheap and bright with vinyl flooring and just enough
wall tiles" to "proper pukka decent ordinary suite plus lots of tiles on
wall and floor" to "genuine recon antique fitments in the style of Louis
XIV".

Labour I would guess is pretty much dependent on time more than anything
else, and a bathroom fitter could be in and out in just a few days unless
there are any gotchas.

I have found bathstore.com to be a good place for not expensive (but not the
cheapest) *decent quality* ordinary baths/bogs/basins. My bath is plastic
but it's pretty solid (I did frame it in 100% of the rim - but even so,
cheap plastic baths can still be a bit wibbly).

My bog which was a high level flush is the only bog I have seen ever that
has resisted anyone's attempts to block it with too much bog paper. It's
partly the high level, partly the throat is smooth and properly glazed and
partly I wired it almost straight into 110 pipe without having a long length
of narrow WC pan connector.

--
Tim Watts