Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Protecting pub type table legs from rot

On 17/07/2012 21:10, Roberts wrote:
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 17/07/2012 10:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Some 25 years ago I scratch built a pub style table with the attached
bench seats, since when it lived outdoors in the weather. Eventually it
rotted at the four feet, which are in constant contact with the concrete
of the patio, sat in water. I built a replacement which I finished
yesterday and I'm just trying to think of some means to ensure the ends
of the legs are not sat directly on the concrete patio slabs.

My best idea at the moment is to drill a hole into each leg and fit a
steel bolt, so each leg is raised off the ground by the heads of the
bolts. The holes simply being a tight push fit for the thread of the
bolt. Has anyone got any alternative suggestions please?

We don't use the table so much for sitting at, but it makes for an
absolutely great bit of outdoor working space.

Make some feet out of tanalised sp? timber, and screw them to the
bottoms of the legs. If *they* eventually rot, they can be replaced.
--
Cheers,
Roger

I stood mine on house bricks, flat side up
Does n't look pretty but it works
Robbie

The legs in question are already resting on concrete slabs, so bricks
don't change anything. What the OP is after is a way to reduce the area
in contact with the concrete. The bolt head sounds like the best solution.