Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Sagging Door (was "How difficult to "build" a Door") III

On Jul 17, 11:21*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
I made another pass thru the Restore today, and came up empty.

Also made concerted effort to split off the hinge stile from the rest and
partially failed. It more-or-less separated itself at the bottom, and the
intermediate rails separated, but the stile wouldn't come free of the top rail.
The lock stile did separate on the other side of the top rail. The pattern of
the joint is very intricate, and it doesn't wanna break. What did they use to
bind such stuff back in 1955? Glue? Epoxy?? What (if any) chemical can I use to
break the joint???

Y'all may or may-not be interested in the simple fact that I've been
studiously trying to avoid the business of "trying to stuff a square
peg in a round hole" which many responses have suggested. It looked
really simple when I started ("just replace the flogging door, f'crissake!").
Now it looks a mess.

Do they even *make* exterior pre-hungs measuring 30 x (80-?) x 1 3/4"? Would it
*really* fit 32 x 80 opening?? How expensive???

* Thx,
* P

Just as one example, Therma Tru makes pre hung exterior doors that are
30 x 78 (2'6" x 6'6"). That size door should fit a 32 x 80 opening
with no modification.

http://www.thermatru.com/products/en.../ss/index.aspx

I'm sure many other manufacturers do too.

Prices will vary by manufacturer and style. I would find a contractor
supply house in your area, such as a Norandex Reynolds dealer. You can
usually get a better price than at a home center, but shop around.

If you want to stick with a 30 x 80 door, you'll probably need to
raise the header.

Exactly how tall is your RO? 80-? Is not a number.