Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Wax Ring for Toilet

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:47:38 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jul 17, 6:41*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

They are kind of a generic item and any one will work
fine with 95% of the toilets out there. I have seen some
that are extra thick, if the flange is a bit low. And there
are some more pricey ones that are made out of
something other than wax, ie some kind of urethane
I think. But if it's typical toilet the standard wax ones
are fine.

I would use a Fluidmaster Wax-Free Bowl Gasket if I could. They don't
as the drain is a shallow sweep, so it will not properly seat. These
are reusable for use later.

Item #: 172788 | Model #: 7500

Wax-Free Bowl Gasket
• Install a toilet without messy wax
• Fits 3" and 4" drain pipes
• Easy to install
• 10-year warranty

http://www.lowes.com/pd_172788-320-7500_0__?productId=1043175&Ntt=wax+ring&pl=1&curre ntURL=&facetInfo=

If they have changed types or another brand may work. I have not
checked in years since the last toilet R&R. My toilets are on a
concrete slab.

sigh