Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Sagging Door (was "How difficult to "build" a Door") III

On Jul 17, 3:07*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
or...

Install a pre-hung door.

First of, that was half a joke based on how many times that solution
has been proposed by many - and refused by the OP.

I nave nothing against pre-hung doors, even have 3-4. *But they aren't the
panacea you seem to think they are. *Especially if you have never installed
one.

I've done many, both interior and entry, wood, fiberglass and steel.
I'm guessing the OP hasn't.

The worst was an installation on top of a 10" step into a basement
room in a seriously unsquare opening that was both too wide and too
narrow for any standard size door. In addition, the RO on the latch
side was just paneling between studs. We ended up attaching a 1 x 6 to
the closest stud, flat on the face of the paneling, to both fill the
gap and to give us a solid surface on which to mount/shim the jamb.

Once it was trimmed, it came out OK, especially since the goal was
just to give my son a little privacy in a basement room he was
renting. Any door, even a weirdly hung one, is better than a wide open
doorway into your "apartment".

First of all, they are not all that rigid. *They are easy to rack.
Especially when using the necessary shims.

Shims aren't all that hard either especially if one understands that they
are used in pairs. *If not, it is duck soup to bow or wind the jamb(s).
Then there is the matter of where to place them (shims).

Agree.

Once the jambs are shimmed where they should be and are square and/or
parallel as the case may be to each other and are perpendicular to the wall,
there is the matter of fastening. *All the preceding can be easily undone by
improper fastening.

Agree.

In OPs case, he already has jambs. *The 2x4s.

Agree, to some extent. Yes, by definition, the RO is also the jamb in
this case.

However, the jamb of a pre-hung door, or even a separate jamb kit, can
be shimmed square if the RO isn't.

The OP says the RO "appears square" and even claims that "the non-
hinge side is square". He says can't check the other side because of
the hinges. Those statements tell me that he doesn't known what square
means.

He also has a door. *All he
need do is fix the door and rehang it.

Agree, to some extent. He seems to be trying to fix it in the
basement, without actually determining whether or not the RO is
square. It would suck to be him if he gets the door all nice and
square only to find that his RO isn't square. Remember, according to
him, he can't check the RO for square because of the hinges. We've yet
to hear an explanation for that claim.

Or replace it and I'm with you(?)
and others in that respect...I don't understand why he thinks he can't hang
another door of proper width & height - regardless of thickness - where the
old one was.

I submit that the reason is becasue he is over his head and is going
to trot blindly down the "I'm gonna fix and square up this old door"
path regardless of where it takes him.