Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Flat-screen TV - "temporary" wall mounting

"Lobster" wrote in message
In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I quite like the idea of having my own 'standard' mount; but are they
all really the same size fitting? - ie would one suitable for the
forthcoming 49" monster also be suitable for a rather more modest 19"
model?

Yes - if you buy the right one. I recently fitted one for a pal and got
it
from TLC. His set was a monster 55" or whatever, but it could have been
used with a smaller one. Not sure it would go as small as 19", though -
do
they still make such a small size?

The idea of fitting my own certainly appeals the more I think about it.

Just had a look here, though:
http://www.toptvmounts.co.uk/pages/which-mounts-will-fit-my-tv and it
appears that there are seven different VESA size mounts; and if you click
on each of the links provided, it seems that each one covers only a
relatively narrow band of TV sizes - obviously fine for a one-off TV
purchase, but doesn't look like it's much cop for my application, where
the TV size is a complete unknown.

It likely wouldn't be hard to do an adapter between the biggest VESA
mounts and the smallest, so you could have a mount that will take the
biggest TVs and use the adapter with the renters with the smallest TVs.

One other issue - when mounting my own TV at home a while back, I remember
a caveat about only using the screws provided for fear of damaging the TV
internals/having the TV fall off if the screw length was wrong.

Sounds like more of a protect your arse line than anything else.

I guess the length is mainly TV-dependent, but that it could still vary
depending on the thickness of the mount. Again, not something I'd be
worried about for my own TV at home, but if I provide a one-size-fits-all
mount for a potentially dopey tenant to make use of, I may be opening
myself up to liability for a broken TV...

Not if you tell them that they are only allowed to use your
mount and not to screw their own mount to your wall.

When they use your mount, the TV falling off that is still their problem.

Are fitting screws usually provided with the TV or the mount?

The mount.