Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default What size beam to span 14'

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 08:16:36 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:06:10 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

There are probably online beam load calculators that
could answer the question. But every place I know you
would need a building permit to add a porch on to a
house. And here to get that building permit you need
a drawing signed and stamped by a licensed architect.
So, I'd start with finding out what it takes to get a building
permit. If it's like here, you'd be wasting your time
figuring it out because the architect is going to do it
anyway.

I guess you are right because everyone is saying the same thing. I
wanted to answer his question directly but just need more info but
that will not address the legal aspects of building it.

The OP is in Canada.

Ooh okay. Though I wanted to help, I do think the local jurisdiction
(building dept) could give more help because they will know the loads
to consider, foundation tips, etc... .