Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Daniel James[_2_] Daniel James[_2_] is offline

Default Building a PC (for those that do) (crossposted)

In article , John
Rumm wrote:
(there are actually some quite decent studies out there on SSDs now.

They've certainly got a lot better as the wear-levelling algorithms have
been refined (and debugged!).

The general thrust being that in the consumer space you can expect a
more than adequate life from them)

That's true ... though that's not to say that spinning rust isn't
better.

I'm still not using SSDs because:

1. I'm not concerned about the disk speeds of my HDD systems.
2. SSDs are still much more expensive than HDDs.
3. SSDs are not yet available with multi-terabyte capacities.

I will say that SSDs are attractive for notebook/netbook applications
where their relative immunity to shock damage may be important.

Cheers,
Daniel.