Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default What size beam to span 14'

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 07:13:33 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 00:53:45 +0000, 69roadrunner
wrote:

I am planning to build a porch roof attached to the back of my house. It
will have a trussed roof. The room will be 14' x 14'. I plan to support
this with one end attached to the house and the other two corners
supported by 6 X 6 pressure treated posts.

What I need to know is what size each of the beams spanning the sides
need to be to support the roof. There will be a 16" overhang on each
side. Roof pitch is 4.5/12. Load is 43.3 psf. Length of one side of the
truss is pretty close to 9' so the area of the roof (that each beam will
support) is about 126 sq.ft.. Total load per beam of 5456 lbs

Thanks,

How long is each beam? What loads are a part of the 43.3 psf and
what is the plf on the beam? Is there any depth of beam restrictions?
If so, maybe a glulam product might work better or a dual beam. I
think a couple of uploaded construction pics would help explain more
here.

Oops, you already answered the first question.