Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Flat-screen TV - "temporary" wall mounting

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I quite like the idea of having my own 'standard' mount; but are they
all really the same size fitting? - ie would one suitable for the
forthcoming 49" monster also be suitable for a rather more modest 19"
model?

Yes - if you buy the right one. I recently fitted one for a pal and got it
from TLC. His set was a monster 55" or whatever, but it could have been
used with a smaller one. Not sure it would go as small as 19", though - do
they still make such a small size?

The idea of fitting my own certainly appeals the more I think about it.

Just had a look here, though:
http://www.toptvmounts.co.uk/pages/which-mounts-will-fit-my-tv and it
appears that there are seven different VESA size mounts; and if you
click on each of the links provided, it seems that each one covers only
a relatively narrow band of TV sizes - obviously fine for a one-off TV
purchase, but doesn't look like it's much cop for my application, where
the TV size is a complete unknown.

One other issue - when mounting my own TV at home a while back, I
remember a caveat about only using the screws provided for fear of
damaging the TV internals/having the TV fall off if the screw length was
wrong. I guess the length is mainly TV-dependent, but that it could
still vary depending on the thickness of the mount. Again, not
something I'd be worried about for my own TV at home, but if I provide a
one-size-fits-all mount for a potentially dopey tenant to make use of, I
may be opening myself up to liability for a broken TV... Are fitting
screws usually provided with the TV or the mount?

Thanks
David