Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Bending EMT

dpb wrote:
On 7/10/2012 10:01 PM, Bill wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 7/10/2012 7:27 PM, Bill wrote:

This is starting to get a little crazy. EMT does NOT need to run down
the middle of a stud like Romex does, right?

No, I was pointing out the _minimum_ offset to clear the stud if you
were going to run it inside the cavity as I thought you said was your
intent.

For what its worth, I pulled off my first 22.5-degrees, "7/8" offset
bend that is "perfect", about as much as such a bend can be.

It took a trip back to the store and a 4th piece of conduit to get it
just right. I had 2 other bends that would have worked, but I mentioned
to my wife that they failed the "craftsman-like manner" test. I
wanted no strain on the electrical box and I preferred that it run right
up the center of the stud.

Besides becoming more comfortable with the bender, the "trick" I used on
the 2nd half of the bend was Not to look at angle-lines on the the
bender, but to look at the short end--bending until the ends were
parallel. My earlier attempts didn't really achieve this. Maybe there
is a little luck involved too! : )

Now I may proceed (except it's really, really hot!). I hope you're all
having as much fun!

Bill