Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Flat-screen TV - "temporary" wall mounting

"Tim" wrote in message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:28:10 +0100, Lobster
wrote:

I've been mulling over a possible solution though that would keep both
tenants and me happy. They all seem to want to put the TV over the
fireplace (why?!?); so what I was wondering about was hacking back an
area of plaster to the brickwork, about 12" high x 18" long, and then
firmly attaching a matching rectangle of three-quarter-inch ply to the
brickwork, ie recessed into the plaster. Finish and paint to match the
walls (ie magnolia!). Tenant would then be free to screw his TV bracket
to the wooden panel; for any tenant without a bracket, the panel would
simply be concealed behind a 24" x 36" mirror which currently hangs
there.

Or, put your ply up and hang a VESA bracket from it all ready for them
and subsequent tenants.
I looked at VESA brackets for my back rooom (TV's been happy enough on
its stand in another room), but decided I wasn't paying 30quid for a
few short bits of steel and plastic, so made my own out of a standoff
ply plate.

How about going a bit "retro" and fitting a solid picture rail round
the room. You could then hang a screen using wires from the rail.

I wouldnt try that with the biggest plasmas.

Removes the need to make any holes in the wall
and would be adaptable to most sizes of screen.

Still think a screen mount that stays with the flat makes more sense.