Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cap off unused outdoor power?

On Jul 16, 12:27*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'd suggest to call the building department, where you live. Do what they
say, not follow the advice of internet writers.

On a practical level, I'd disconnect that wire from the double breaker. That
way, it won't power the wire if someone turns on the breaker.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"bob" wrote in message

I had my old hot tub removed.

Now there is an unused 240v power coming out of the garage wall in a
conduit, down a few feet to the ground, then run along the edge of the house
about 15 feet, and end with a cable sticking out the conduit, temporarily
wrapped with electrical tapes.

The power is turned off at the breaker panel, of course.

What is the least amount of work to make this code compliant? Can I cut off
the cable flush with the conduit exit, and then put a conduit cap on it? Do
I have to put something at the end of the cut cables to cover the exposed
copper wires?

It would depend partly on what the future holds. If
there is no future value in leaving the wiring in place,
and you want to get rid of it all together, then I would:

disconnect it at the breaker

remove the breaker

pull the cable from the panel

cut off the panel end of the cable back to
a reasonable/convenient point

outside, remove the conduit, cut back
the wiring to where it enters the house or
similar convenient point, perhaps in the
basement, etc if possible.

Fill the holes as needed.

On the other hand, if I thought it could be of
future use for another hot tub, etc, then I'd
just put a weatherproof box on the end,
put wire nuts on the current carrying conductors
and if the box is metal, connect the ground.
Turn the breaker off and mark it.