Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Broken pedestal of glass figurine

On Monday, July 16, 2012 7:44:11 AM UTC-4, HeyBub wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>> On 7/14/2012 10:50 PM, gary wrote:
>>
>>> On my glass figurine, the glass pedestal has broken in two. Both
>>> surfaces of the break are uneven. How can I smooth the broken
>>> surfaces so I can align them for gluing?
>>>

>> When I worked in a lab, to smooth cut glass tubing we would use a
>> course wire screen to rub them down.
>
> That's interesting. Was the coarse wire screen coated with emery or
> other abrasive like that used for sanding drywall?

Of course not. It was a 4x4" bit of steel screening (looks like hardware
cloth) normally used as a support, on a ring, for heating the contents of a
beaker over a Bunsen burner.

A few swipes with such on a freshly-cut piece of glass tubing smoothed out
the cut.

Exactly.