Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Interesting roofing problem

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jul 15, 9:25 pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 15, 7:31 pm, "Atila Iskander" wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message

Atila Iskander wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote:
On Jul 15, 11:21 am, "Atila Iskander"
wrote:

My tar shingle roof is sloped north-south.
Prevailing winds are easterly.

The paint under the north-east edge of the roof peels faster than
anywhere
else.
This indicates that water is being pushed over the edge and
trickles
down
the trim and the brick on the east wall.
This is supported by the fact that the wood trim around the
windows
is
also being rotted away

I was thinking of nailing an L-shaped piece of metal or plastic
along
the
edge, to create a small barrier so that rain, on hitting the
barrier,
will
be guided down the roof slope to the gutters, instead of rolling
over
the
edge and running down the east wall.

Does this make sense ?
Is this a viable solution ?
What kind of L-shaped barrier should be used ?

Without seeing the situation I can still say that your hypothesis
is
flawed. Assuming a typical gable roof, why would only one corner
have
that problem when the roof has four such corners? I would bet
dollars
to donuts that it's not the water running off that's the problem -
that happens at all four corners, it's the water running off and
not
_drying_ on that corner that is the problem. Part of that is your
prevailing winds, and part of that is the sun doing it's sun thing.

Take some pictures of the corner in question, and another corner or
two as reference, and post them on one of the free hosting sites,
then
post the link(s) back here and we'll take a look.

You misunderstand
Not "one corner"
It's ONE SIDE. with one HALF-side being more damaged

That's pretty much what I pictured. Post pictures.

The roof is an A with one side facing North, the other South. The
ridge
runs
East-West.
The whole East side trim has flaking paint.
But far more on the North-East side, than the South-East side of the
East
wall.

Which is pretty much what I pictured and coincides with what I said.
Post pictures. Thanks.

Since when are sides = corners ?

Do you know a way to make up a corner without using two sides?

Do you want help or not? It's clear you don't know what you're
looking at, so do yourself the favor and let some people look at it
that do. Post some pictures. Take pictures of the peeling paint
you're concerned about and the rotten window trim and whatever local
conditions might affect things (trees, etc.).

It might help if the OP posted some pictures.

What do you think?

****

Sounds to me like he just needs to rotate the house.

Steve