Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Building new computer (DIY)

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:53:13 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:57:33 -0400, "
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:22:01 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:41:31 -0400, "
wrote:

Plus,you can configure a desktop or tower PC to be a DVR and record several
TV channels at the same time.

Not if you have digital cable. Besides, that's what the DVR is for.

You can buy a digital TV card for a PCI machine.

Does it do the DRM stuff?

They have "cable cards" in them that you get authorized like a cable
box. I haven't done anything with that but the guys at AVS forum can
tell you more than you want to know about it. I still use my ReplayTV
and I have a DVR from Dish.

Didn't know that, but I guess it makes sense to have them available.

I use the PC I have connected for music and streaming content directly
from the net.
(Hulu, HBO-Go etc)

That's what I intended to do with the system that I bought the pieces for but
never put together.