Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default OT Building new computer (DIY)

wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 02:40:38 +0000 (UTC), gregz

On 2012-07-15, Red Green wrote:

And I thought I was the last one... Must be a CT thing (OEM
Stamfordite)
:-)

p.s. and also a "-ski".

Nope. Lots of us.V

Better yet, you can pick up decent box fer zero $$. Ppl can't give
'em away, anymore. Actually costs $$ to dispose of 'em. I haven't
paid for a computer in yrs. Granted, I'm not running the hottest
gamer box in town, but running Linux gets me what I need for nada.
Finally hadda kick out the jams and splurge fer an LCD monitor, no
CRTs lying around. My new Acer 23" is killer. I may join the 21st
century if I can find a decent box fer $200.

Oh yeah, two days ago a 17" CRT turned up, fer free. With 2 keyboards
and two mice. I passed.

nb

Back in 93 I paid $549.00 for my first 17" CRT monitor, the price was low
because I got dealer pricing. Remember when a 20mb hard drive was
cheap at $250.00? O_o

TDD

My first 15 inch monitor was $400. First 17 inch was $400. Still have it,
Gold Star.
it was around 1993 when I broke down and bought my first personal computer.

I saw monitors way back working at DEC in 1969. They were just starting to
get into desktop monitors, vs the big rack mounted devices, using light
pens.

At another workplace $2000 monitors were common in the 90's I worked on the
worlds highest resolution monitor, something like $15k. Sony bought the
company started by IBM, to stop making the product. I remember buying a
high speed hd, $2000 for something 1-2 gb. Thing ran too hot to touch.
Hitachi.

I'm glad I don't have to play much with hardware anymore, but the software
will kill you.

Greg

My first PC was a first day ship IBM PC-1 that cost about 2 grand
(employee price) with two 128k diskette drives, a tape recorder "mass
storage" and a whopping 64K of RAM. (Epson dot printer and mono
monitor)

Several years later I did the $300 WDWX1 controller/ST238 upgrade to a
hard drive but that also required a new system board.
My old one suddenly just "went bad" and I had to replace it on the M/A
... funny how that works huh?
I had a problem earlier with one of those diskette drives and needed a
new one too. They only had the 360K. ;-)

I'm thinking a large disk in mid 70's was about 20 kb or perhaps mb. ?
In 1969 loading a program by paper tape into a $10k pdp 8/I first required
you to manually machine code the program on switches so computer would know
how to read the paper tape. Back when an oscilloscope was what you used to
fix computers.

I must confess, I have found good deals at complete computers or laptops at
Office Depot.

Greg