Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 3D CNC Wood Carving With Small Cutters

You don't say what kind of wood - many have a lot of silica in the wood.
Carbide is the best. Don't use C2 wood working carbide - go steel
working tools - C5 or higher.

Wood is bad on cutters.

I used to cut fiberglass with a 10 mil cutter and that was great carbide.

Martin

On 7/14/2012 9:12 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
This is going to sound silly, but what cutters or coating is going to
have the best life. I mostly work with aluminum and flood coolant which
gives me quite long cutter life, but I am working on a wood project and
I am seeing results which look like the cutter is getting dull about mid
project.

(1/16 ball end cutter, and I need to finish with a 1/32 cutter)