Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Building new computer (DIY)

On 7/14/2012 11:48 PM, Atila Iskander wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 17:00:42 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

When you can buy a whole system for $400,
and given the problems that can arise,
the idea of building a system for someone else
out of parts doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.
Also factor in that the $400 system comes
with a legal version of Windows 7, a warranty
and someone to go to for support. You can also
typically get MSFT office for another $100,
3 years of antivirus for $40, etc.

Just saying, sounds like aggravation and a good
way to ruin a friendship.

We disagree. Bought my bride a "system" for some bucks under or
around $400. The system is full of OEM trash-ware, much of the
software is useless or not used. I don't need stuff, except the OS.

Built mine (for 20 years) from scratch without ALL the bloat ware..

As to warranty, any system can fail in a matter of days. Burn in is
around 3 days. After that it will run for years.

Windows 7 has *free* AV and Open Office is free (open source) and
just as good (better) as MS Office, plus compatible. No cost, ever.

PS. My friend will not be lost. He asked, because he trust me.

I didn't mean to upset anyone. I appreciate this group for the
intelligence and vast knowledge of common sense.

In a few hours I can build a system for him as I WOULD want for
myself or meet his expectations. I'm not looking for what an OEM
"thinks" he needs.

I think for myself. Hardware advice?

Bloatware can be removed

"http://pcdecrapifier.com/" is a good starting point. ^_^