Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Building new computer (DIY)

On Jul 15, 4:10*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:33:01 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 23:46:35 -0500, "Atila Iskander"
wrote:

Tell him to buy himself a laptop
* *At the prices of laptops today, the savings for a desktop are not
worth
the effort.
Plus the laptop provides a built-in backup power supply, aka battery.

Laptops have a place, but for home use, I still prefer a big honkin'
desktop with a 21 inch or larger monitor, keyboard that can be moved
around, etc.

When I want portability, my netbook has traveled to much of the US and
Europe with me. * Or it can sit on my belly when in front of the TV.

You are not thinking outside of the box, and are suffering from tunnel
vision
.
A properly set-up laptop as the equal to your "big honking box"
* *but with a smaller footprint
* *AND a backup battery
I also have no problem hooking up 2 monitors, a keyboard and a backup HD to
my laptop

Just because it's "portable" does NOT mean that it cannot perform in a
non-portable role as well
I have 2 older laptops acting as server and firewall.

Not only are they on a smaller footprint but they also use less power.

And when something goes wrong you PAY or throw it out. No "generic"
replacement parts. *And it is WHEN, not IF.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I agree. Laptops are great if you make use of the fact
that they are portable. If you don't value that ability, then
a box system has advantages. Clearly there are tradeoffs
in a number of areas that have to be made to get everything
to fit into a small form factor. For the same $$, you generally
wind up with a smaller screen, less CPU power, no
system expansion capabilities, etc. The same is true of
the Apple and similar computers where everything is in
the display. If a component fails in a mini-tower sitting
on the floor, I can fix it. If that same component fails in
a laptop or the Apples, good luck figuring out how to
get at it, fix it or where to get the part.