Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Building new computer (DIY)

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:33:01 -0500, "Atila Iskander"
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 23:46:35 -0500, "Atila Iskander"
wrote:

Tell him to buy himself a laptop
At the prices of laptops today, the savings for a desktop are not
worth
the effort.
Plus the laptop provides a built-in backup power supply, aka battery.

Laptops have a place, but for home use, I still prefer a big honkin'
desktop with a 21 inch or larger monitor, keyboard that can be moved
around, etc.

When I want portability, my netbook has traveled to much of the US and
Europe with me. Or it can sit on my belly when in front of the TV.

You are not thinking outside of the box, and are suffering from tunnel
vision
.
A properly set-up laptop as the equal to your "big honking box"
but with a smaller footprint
AND a backup battery
I also have no problem hooking up 2 monitors, a keyboard and a backup HD to
my laptop

Just because it's "portable" does NOT mean that it cannot perform in a
non-portable role as well
I have 2 older laptops acting as server and firewall.

Not only are they on a smaller footprint but they also use less power.

And when something goes wrong you PAY or throw it out. No "generic"
replacement parts. And it is WHEN, not IF.