Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 3D CNC Wood Carving With Small Cutters

"Artemus" wrote in message

"Artemus" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
This is going to sound silly, but what cutters or coating is going to
have the best life. I mostly work with aluminum and flood coolant which
gives me quite long cutter life, but I am working on a wood project and
I am seeing results which look like the cutter is getting dull about mid
project.

(1/16 ball end cutter, and I need to finish with a 1/32 cutter)

It may be getting coated/clogged with resin from the wood. A soak
in Simple Green and then a toothbrushing could solve the problem.
Art

Hit send too soon.
Another possibility is that you are machining a high silica content wood.
If so, the SiO2 dulls steel edges rapidly. Can you use carbide bit(s)?
Art

I am already using a high quality micro grain carbide cutter. This job is
in red oak which is fairly hard as woods go. I was wondering if a diamond
coated or zirn coated carbide cutter might last longer.