Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Interesting roofing problem

Atila Iskander wrote:
My tar shingle roof is sloped north-south.
Prevailing winds are easterly.

The paint under the north-east edge of the roof peels faster than
anywhere else.
This indicates that water is being pushed over the edge and trickles
down the trim and the brick on the east wall.
This is supported by the fact that the wood trim around the
windows is also being rotted away

I was thinking of nailing an L-shaped piece of metal or plastic along
the edge, to create a small barrier so that rain, on hitting the
barrier, will be guided down the roof slope to the gutters, instead
of rolling over the edge and running down the east wall.

Does this make sense ?
Is this a viable solution ?
What kind of L-shaped barrier should be used ?

My garage has a metal edge that has a lip maybe 3/8" high on the edge of the
roofing to direct the water down the roofing. The outside of that lip forms a 2"
drop with the bottom 1/4" bent out to drip water away from the rafter at the end
of the roof. The roofing lies over the metal, and the paper is under it.

x xxxxxxxxx