Posted to alt.home.repair
Guv Bob Guv Bob is offline

Default OT Building new computer (DIY)

"Oren" wrote in message ...
Seeking opinions of current parts.

CPU

Motherboard

Hard Drive (SATA)

DVD (SATA)

Monitor

A friend ask me to build him a new system. (no problem)

Windows 7 - clean install...

If you've built a system in the last year or two or had one built for
you I would appreciate your comments.

Just the above parts are what I'm interested in. Been awhile since I
built mine :-\

My work for him is free -- start to finish.

Oren, I have built a few systems for self and friends since '94. Still do upgrades, etc., but now it's less cost (and I have less time now) to just buy a complete basic system at one of the discount houses, swap out parts & sell the extra one on ebay. If I had more time, I would still be building them like you are.

So, just for info, the place I hit first around here in Calif is www.frys.com. A few times a year they will have a basic system less monitor for $199. Typically it's a no-name brand, but I have bought a dozen over the years and never had trouble with any of them. Right now I'm using one called Great Value. (I knew it had to be bottom of the line. LOL!!) But ended up buying 3 total and all are still humming away. Only had one USB port go out on one of the, and a $15 USB card fixed that.

Check out their specials -- they run full page ads in the paper which is better for me than searching a website. You can view them online also at www.frys.com -- click at the top on "See our ads".

Bob