Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rheilly Phoull[_2_] Rheilly Phoull[_2_] is offline

Default Hard drive repair

John Robertson wrote:

wrote:
On Friday, May 21, 2004 5:07:20 PM UTC-7, R3Jar wrote:
Has anybody repaired a hardrive? I have a quantum fireball 30 GB hardrive that
when my house caught on fire it looks like a small surface mount chip on the
printed circuit board fried. The board looks like it could be replaced. It is
on the bottom of the drive and the connector is attached to it. The drive has
essential data on it and I think I could swap it out and be back in business.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?
TIA
Roy

If the data is irreplaceable (and valuable to you) then you want to
check out a few of the businesses who recover data from drives. They
should be able to handle drives that have been in a fire. There are a
LOT of things to consider with heat and smoke, not the least is smoke
makes conductive paths that you can't see but can destroy electronics if
powered up. Heat can damage the bearings on the drive which means if you
try to spin it up your drive motor could seize up or the bearing could
fail and drag the heads across the discs destroying them...

You don't want to screw things up really now do you?

John, that post is over eight years old.

Amazing what pops up really !!
Like we are in a time warp.

R.P