Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain harryagain is offline

Default For real ... ?

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
On 14/07/2012 09:29, harry wrote:
On Jul 13, 9:47 pm, Andy Champ wrote:
On 13/07/2012 08:53, harry wrote:

The boier runs on the exhaust from the engine. Not vice versa.

This turns out not to be the case.

http://www.genlec.com/homeowner/how.html

Andy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogeneration

Yes.

"Topping cycle plants primarily produce electricity from a steam turbine.
The exhausted steam is then condensed and the low temperature heat
released from this condensation is utilized for e.g. district heating or
water desalination.

Bottoming cycle plants produce high temperature heat for industrial
processes, then a waste heat recovery boiler feeds an electrical plant.
Bottoming cycle plants are only used when the industrial process requires
very high temperatures such as furnaces for glass and metal manufacturing,
so they are less common."

For reasons that escape me _this_ _particular_ system, as described in my
link, uses a bottoming cycle. That is why I am puzzled.

Andy

I have been looking at that link you sent. Very interesting.
They seem to be running an "expansion motor" using something like (say
paraffin/refrigerant gas) at low temperatures to utilise a greater % of the
heat to make electricity.
I can't see the point of the green circuit, I would have thought the
evaporator and the heat exchanger could have been one.
But the electricity is generated first before it goes to the heating circuit
as with other CHP.
So they have gone back to original CHP of a hundred years ago but instead of
steam, they are using this "organic fluid/vapour" to drive the generator.
I wonder if the one in the DM is the same?