Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default OT Building new computer (DIY)

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 17:00:42 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

When you can buy a whole system for $400,
and given the problems that can arise,
the idea of building a system for someone else
out of parts doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.
Also factor in that the $400 system comes
with a legal version of Windows 7, a warranty
and someone to go to for support. You can also
typically get MSFT office for another $100,
3 years of antivirus for $40, etc.

Just saying, sounds like aggravation and a good
way to ruin a friendship.

Right. Unless you have "special needs" like gaming, fooling around
with the hardware, etc, the cost curve went against building you own
at least 10 years ago.
I still do it, because I'm particular about that, and game and tinker.
It's not cheap, because you pay retail for components.
High end parts cost.
Going with used eBay parts can make it work, but that has its own
traps. You have to know the real values.
Then, as you say, you'll be obligated to support it.
Reminds me of what somebody on a another newsgroup years ago.
Paraphrasing: "Why would somebody spend years writing a novel when you
can pick one up at a bookstore for a few bucks."

--
Vic