Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Making a micrometer stop for a Clausing lathe

In article ,
Anonymous wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 15:25:46 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

Mike Henry wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 21:09:50 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

It isn't obvious that I need a micrometer stop versus a plain old
stop,
and I plan to make a clamp to hold a 0-2" dial indicator such that
it will indicate carriage location, and having the 70 degree groove
endmill makes it easy to make all such things.

You might want to consider installing a Trav-a-dial on your carriage.
It measures infinite travel, is always available, and is quick to
re-zero. It's one of the most-used accessories on my Clausing 5914.

I like the 2" indicator for threading, the micrometer stop for boring
a flat-bottomed recess. It's difficult to stop within 0.001" without
overshooting using the carriage handwheel.

I agree with both of you. I have used the dial indicator, and always
overshoot, so the plan is to use the indicator to set the stop.

As for the Trav-a-dial, it is the original CRO (Clockface Read Out), and
is a real possibility. I think they are still made, but are not cheap.

Mounting a real DRO is likely to be pretty awkward, given that the lathe
was not designed for a DRO. I had been toying with mounting a short
unit on a bedway fixture that in clamped into place when needed.

Joe Gwinn

Joe - you can find working TADs on Ebay for $150 or so with a bit of
patience, though seem to be bringing $200+ recently.

The spherical washers needed for the mount are often missing and are
available from McMaster-Carr among other sources. Mine lacked the
tensioning device so I cobbled one up in the shop. I can provide
drawings for that and for the mount made for my 5914 if you are
interested. The mount was made of aluminum plate and bolted together.
Welding would be better but the bolted version has been working fine
for my needs for 5 or 6 years now.

Mike

This seems worth exploration.

What do I look for on fleabay to tell if the unit on offer is any good?
Mechanically they are pretty simple, but I doubt that they bounce well.

Joe Gwinn