Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Telephone poles

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 13:53:38 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

The poles I've noticed in my part of the world seem to be southern
yellow pine

I notice the same thing.

Our yellow pine poles have stickers on them saying, "Caution: Yellow Pine".
Why would the linemen need to be warned about that?

WAG- as a former telco lineman who *hated* climbing locust poles.
Maybe the ones labeled Yellow Pine are harder? I've never seen a
label, but notice some of the older, larger [50-60 footers] are some
other kind of soft pine.

When the new poles come in some are so dark you couldn't tell by
looking at them what kind of wood they are-- A couple steps up the
side ought to clue you in-- but who knows- unions are powerful
influences. [maybe the yellow pine poles are knottier as you go up?]

Jim