Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Antenna installation

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 08:00:30 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

I know that it isn't sufficient because it now only sometimes gets
just two channels. TV fool says that there are more possibilities
for that address. Also the neighbor put up an all band POS Radio
Shlock antenna with no preamp and he gets a few channels. And he
used 300 ohm wire and taped it to the mast!

Bingo. What I'm trying to get you to do is figure out what a
reasonable receiver and antenna should see at your location. If your
current derangement isn't working up to estimated coverage, it might
easily be a receiver or converter problem. If your neighbor, with his
marginal system, gets good reception, you may have a problem with your
hardware.

I can't tell from your description if you have the preamp mounted on
the antenna, or if it's next to the receiver. It belongs near the
antenna.

As for satellite, for just a few weeks out of the year it's not
feasible.

You could carry a satellite receiver back and forth between your
residence and summer camp. With DirecTV, it is also possible to add a
2nd receiver to your contract for about $10/month plus $50 one time
fee. That might be affordable. Just plug it into a phone line a few
times a year to unload the pay per view data. Dish is more obnoxious,
insisting that all receivers be plugged into the same phone number.

Besides we're not looking for that type of TV entertainment
for a Summer camp anyway. During the day we listen to the radio or
swim, hike, etc. Rainy days we might go to a museum or watch a DVD.
Evenings we might watch a show or the news or weather. TV is not a big
thing for us but a few more channels would be nice. I don't want to
lose my FM though and the new HD antenna will not have a low band VHF
section. Lenny

Then, find a better antenna that covers FM or add a separate FM yagi.
I live in the hills and a big FM yagi is the only antenna that really
works for OTA reception. My former VHF/UHF TV antenna (destroyed in a
storm in Jan 2012) had only about 5dBi gain in the FM band. The 8ft
long FM band yagi (partly mangled in the same storm) has about 10dbi
gain. The difference in reception quality and stability was very
noticeable.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D