Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default Antenna installation

On Jul 14, 10:33*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 06:34:39 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper

wrote:
Now since the digital transition we can get just two stations and
unreliably at that, and so I've finally convinced the other two
families that we need to upgrade to a bigger antenna.

Before blundering forward, I suggest you do a little research.

1. *Go thee unto:
http://www.tvfool.com
Enter your location and have it calculate which stations you can
expect to see at your camp location. *Print the results and post them
on the wall as it will save much effort in antenna pointing.

2. *Set your TV or converter to rescan for digital channels. *They
sometimes move in frequency. *With a directional antenna, you may need
to aim it in a probable direction, scan, scribble down the usable
channels, and then do it again with the antenna pointed in another
likely location.

3. *If you have a converter, please check for reviews and user
comments. *Many of the rush to market converters are little better
than junk.

4. *Compare the gain and performance of your proposed antenna at:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
Your existing antenna and amplifier may already be theoretically
sufficient.

I know that it isn't sufficient because it now only sometimes gets just two channels. TV fool says that there are more possibilities for that address. Also the neighbor put up an all band POS Radio Shlock antenna with no preamp and he gets a few channels. And he used 300 ohm wire and taped it to the mast!

As for satellite, for just a few weeks out of the year it's not
feasible. Besides we're not looking for that type of TV entertainment
for a Summer camp anyway. During the day we listen to the radio or
swim, hike, etc. Rainy days we might go to a museum or watch a DVD.
Evenings we might watch a show or the news or weather. TV is not a big
thing for us but a few more channels would be nice. I don't want to
lose my FM though and the new HD antenna will not have a low band VHF
section. Lenny

Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann * * AE6KS * *831-336-2558